Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Truth

Sometimes all I see are baby steps... one of the girls makes a simple decision to walk into her room instead of lashing out in anger, she chooses to patiently sit with her son while he finishes his lunch instead of yelling at him from across the room, she chooses to listen to advice instead of getting instantly defensive...

And then there are the breakthroughs... and they are few and far between.

Yesterday I think we had a breakthrough.  And I contribute it only to the work of the Holy Spirit because there is no way anything else brings such humility.  As I walked into the house yesterday, one of the girls was almost in tears as she looked up at me.  She was making lunch, but had sadness written all over her face.  She made eye contact long enough to tell me that she had something to tell me, but she was sure it would make me mad.

I've been lying to you.

Honestly, my first response was gratitude.  Thankfulness to the Lord that HE worked in her heart to bring her to a place of repentance and honesty.  You could see in her eyes that she was truly sorry.  And she knew there would be consequences, and there are, and we talked about them.  But I just kept telling her that I am so proud of who the Lord is the making her to be that she could be honest, even when it would be hard.

The truth is, I knew she'd been lying... although I hadn't known long.  And I'm so glad it came to light through her confession instead of through a confrontation that could have ended in anger and defensiveness.  Isn't the Lord good?  And she is willing to concede to the consequences and really take this opportunity seriously and try to take advantage of what the Lord is providing and fight for a better future.

Keep praying with me over these girls as we see the Lord grow and change them and mold them into the women that HE wants them to be.

1 comment: