Monday, May 16, 2011

Gringo church

Every Sunday my team has gringo church at the Pettengill’s house.  We also attend a local church on Sundays in Spanish.  But it is truly a joy to meet together and sing and study Scripture in English.  Today I led worship for gringo church and led a new song for the first time.  I came across this song because Caedmon’s Call sings it and added a chorus to it and titled “The World will Sing His Love”.  Well, I’d never thought to drop the chorus and do it as a congregational song until someone else used it during chapel in Costa Rica.  And then I found it in the RUF hymnbook.  So, it may just be my new favorite.  And the words are SO good!

I’ve been struck recently with the concept of verse 2… “Though the world may change its fashion, yet our God is ever the same.”

I feel like I’m seeing a lot of change.  Some of it is a different culture.  But some of it is just being struck with the way that the world is changing.  So many things are acceptable that used to be totally taboo.  Media is allowing more and more to be talked about and shown.  Technology is taking over and I feel like I need 6 different technological gimmicks to be on the slow side of keeping up.  And sometimes all of it just overwhelms me.  And I know the Lord is here, right in the middle of all the change.  And He is unchanging.

Today Mike asked the question, “if we stopped believing God’s truth, would it stop being true?”  Of course it wouldn’t.  The word of Scripture is TRUE.  The end.  Whether we choose to believe it or live in line with it, it doesn’t change because He doesn’t change.  Though the world may change its fashion and accept and approve all kinds of things, our God is ever the same.  And I am really thankful for that.  He is loving and gracious and merciful and kind.  And at the same time He is just and righteous and totally holy.  He can be trusted and He is to be worshipped.  And that will never change.

He is the same, yesterday, today, and tomorrow…

Father, Long Before Creation

1. Father, long before creation
Thou hadst chosen us in love,
And that love so deep, so moving,
Draws us close to Christ above.
Still it keeps us, still it keeps us
Firmly fixed in Christ alone.

2. Though the world may change its fashion,
Yet our God is e'er the same;
His compassion and His covenant
Through all ages will remain.
God's own children,
God's own children
Must forever praise His name.

3. God's compassion is my story,
Is my boasting all the day;
Mercy free and never failing
Moves my will, directs my way.
God so loved us,
God so loved us
That His only Son He gave.

4. Loving Father now before Thee
We will ever praise Thy love,
And our songs will sound unceasing
'Til we reach our home above,
Giving glory,
giving glory
To our God and to the Lamb.

No comments:

Post a Comment